By David Gichuru
A good travel camera has a good zoom range, portability, versatility, and can record videos of good quality.
Features in these cameras also are similar to those of the digital single reflex cameras for high-quality photos in any kind of environment, especially in low lighting.
The choice of a camera varies with the traveller as some have professional photography features, which are connected with various sizes of lenses depending on the range of shot while others are compact cameras whose lenses cannot be changed but have inbuilt lenses that can zoom to a fixed range, an advantage to a traveller not carrying many lenses.
Most of these cameras have Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and NFC connectivity but some do not.
- Canon PowerShot SX70 HS
This camera has image stabilization, built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. The camera is good in distant and close photoshoots and has good video quality.
- 20.3MP with DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- Superzoom of 65x Zoom Lens,| 21-1365mm (35mm Equivalent)
- UHD 4K Video Recording
- 4K Time-Lapse
- Lumix x100 ii
This camera is not quite pocketable but it is easy to carry and travel with. It uses an external flash. It is good for both photos and video and has a fixed lcd.
- Up to 17MP images (from crops of 20MP Four Thirds CMOS sensor)
- 24-75mm equivalent F1.7-2.8 zoo
- 4K video
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II
Canon PowerShot G5 X Mark II is a premium compact camera with 20 MegaPixel and an image-stabilized 24-120mm equivalent lens.
It opens at apertures F1.8-2.8 making it record in low light environments.
It has a 3inch touchscreen display, which can flip upward by 180° for selfies and vlogging.
The camera captures cropped 4K high-resolution videos, can be lowered over its USB-C port and has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
This camera is good for vlogging.
- Canon EOS M50
The Canon EOS M50 is a midrange mirrorless camera with a 24 Megapixel.
It has a fully articulating 3inch touchscreen LCD, an OLED electronic viewfinder, record 4K UHD video, connectivity options include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
The camera is good for vlogging with interchangeable lenses. It uses (EF-M) lenses Electro-focus lens mounts in mirrorless cameras that are compact.
The camera is light in weight and is made just for canon EOS M series digital cameras.
- Nikon A1000
Nikon Coolpix A1000 is a compact superzoom camera with an optically stabilized 35X (24-840mm).
It uses a 16MP and has a 3inch downward-tilting touchscreen LCD and an electronic viewfinder.
The camera captures video at 4K/30p. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are built-in.
It is light in weight and easy to carry and has an excellent zoom range. The camera is good for distant subjects as well as vlogging given the high video quality.
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 II
This camera has a good zoom range compact and is easy to carry in your pocket. It has features controls for low light photography.
- 28-100mm stabilized zoom lens with F1.8-4.9 aperture range opening for lowlight photography
- RX100 II features a tiltable LCD
- 1080p60 video quality that is lower than 4k video quality
- Multi-accessory hot shoe for external flash
- Built-in Wi-Fi for wireless image transfer
- Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II
Holiday photographers would enjoy the lightness of this camera without carrying the baggage of lenses.
It is best for close and distance photography and video.
- 20-megapixel camera with a zoom range of 25-400mm
- 3inch touchscreen display and a 2.36M-dot OLED viewfinder
- UHD 4K/30p video
- Connectivity options include Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Image stabilizer
- Nikon D5600
This is a 24 MegaPixel (DSLR) digital single-lens reflex camera. It is semiprofessional and ideal for travel photographers who love professional photography.
- ISO range of 100-25600 for low light picture taking and 5 frames per second burst shooting
- The 39-point AF system can track subjects in ‘3D”
- 3.2 inch touchscreen LCD with
- 1080/60p video quality
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for a constant connection
- NFC for quick pairing with Android devices.
- Canon EOS 800D
Canon EOS 800D is a DSLR camera, ideal for travel photography.
- 45 AF points - all of which are horizontally and vertically sensitive
- Built-in Wi-Fi with Bluetooth
- NFC 1080p video at up to 60 fps with electronic IS(image stabilizer)
- Fully articulated tft lcd screen that tilts 360.
- Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV
This is a compact camera with 20.1 megapixels Sensor CMOS.
Its optically image-stabilized 24-600mm lens and 20MP sensor combine for outstanding image quality, 4K video is top quality, and the camera offers a laundry list of video-making tools and features.
It has a touchscreen and Bluetooth connectivity.